Master of Arts in
Philosophy & Apologetics
Master of Arts in
Philosophy & Apologetics (MAPA)
Available On Campus & 100% Online
The Master of Arts in Philosophy and Apologetics (MAPA) program provides graduate-level biblical, theological and philosophical instruction, aimed at preparing the student for apologetic discourse. This program is intended for persons interested in the classical Christian tradition of understanding and expressing the Christian faith in a skeptical or otherwise unfavorable environment. The curriculum in this program includes biblical, philosophical, theological, and apologetic studies. The program can be completed between 16-24 months if students take 9-12 units each trimester.
The MAPA degree is primarily designed to prepare students for:
• Christian ministry including educational and/or leadership positions where critical thinking skills and/or social-religious engagement may be required;
• Graduate-level discourse concerning the ideas that have shaped the church, the academy, and the marketplace;
• Advanced studies including: Master of Divinity, Master of Theology, or doctoral studies.
Upon successful completion of the Master of Arts in Philosophy and Apologetics program students will be able to:
1. Interpret the content of the Old and New Testaments utilizing a literal-grammatical-historical hermeneutic;
2. Evaluate and critique philosophical and theological issues facing the church and society, today;
3. Articulate a rational and biblical defense for the Christian faith;
4. Synthesize biblical and philosophical knowledge for expounding truth and renouncing errors in a variety of settings; and
5. Provide leadership in a variety of ministry contexts inside and outside of the local church.
Each candidate for the MAPA degree must meet the general graduation requirements and complete 48 units of graduate-level courses of which no more than 9 units can be transferred from another institution.
1. Complete 48 units of graduate-level courses;
2. Complete a minimum of 39 units at SCS. Students are urged to follow the recommended curriculum to prevent scheduling conflicts later on;
3. Complete the program curriculum with not less than a 2.0 GPA
4. Submit a petition to graduate to the Registrar by the deadline in the Academic Calendar.
5. Settle all financial obligations to SCS.
6. Be recommended by the faculty based on demonstrated moral integrity.
READY TO GET STARTED?
OR GET MORE INFORMATION
Degrees that get you where you want to go
Southern California Seminary is more than just another Bible seminary, offering generic degrees in Ministry and Theology. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of biblical study and truth. Our distinctives cumulatively make our institution unique among biblical seminaries in a day and age where the Word of God is not taken at face value, and core doctrines are being diluted.
You have goals. Southern California Seminary can help you achieve them. Do you need a bachelor’s degree to help fulfill God’s call on your life? Do you need a master’s or doctoral degree to take the next step in your ministry or career? SCS has a program—either Online or On-Campus—designed to renew your mind and deepen your faith in Jesus Christ.
SCS is seeking students with a hunger for learning about God and a desire to dig deeper into the Bible. From your first visit until your graduation, we will strive to support you in your spiritual growth, and prepare you to minister in the 21st century.
MA Philosophy & Apologetics
BIBLICAL STUDIES – 12 UNITS
BI-500 Bible Survey
HI-505 Church History and Canonicity
NT-601 Analysis of Romans
THEOLOGY & CHRISTIAN PHILOSOPHY – 18 UNITS
PH-501 Critical thinking And Argumentation
PH-503 History of Philosophy and Worldviews
PH-507 Christian Ethics & Leadership
PH-601 Epistemology and Metaphysics
TH-500 Survey of Theology
TH-508 Comparative Systems of Theology
APOLOGETICS – 15 UNITS
AP-505 Apologetics and Christian Evidences
AP-603 Naturalism and Supernaturalism
SR-551 Philosophy of Science and Religion
SR-553 Historical Perspectives on Science and Religion
SR-555 Creation and Evolution: Bible, Science, and Worldviews
RESEARCH & THESIS – 6 UNITS
RS-501 Graduate Research and Writing
RS-791 Thesis Writing (2 Trimesters)
ELECTIVES – 9 UNITS
Elective 1: _______________
Elective 2: _______________
Elective 3: _______________
Southern California Seminary is more than just another Bible seminary — more than just another Christian College or Christian University. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of biblical study and truth. Our distinctives cumulatively make our institution unique among biblical seminaries in a day and age where the Word of God is not taken at face value, and core doctrines are being diluted.
Southern California Seminary’s mission is to bring glory to God by assisting local churches to equip believers of various cultures and languages to live and minister biblically based on the inerrant Word of God. This equipping includes building biblical knowledge, Christian character, and ministry skills—all at modest tuition.
Southern California Seminary is a private institution of higher education dedicated to teaching from the inerrant Word of God. Here you will learn about God from His book – the Bible. As a ministry of Shadow Mountain Community Church, under the leadership of Dr. David Jeremiah, SCS offers the highest quality of biblical education with a tuition that is refreshingly affordable.