Master of Arts in
Master of Arts in
Biblical Studies (MABS)
AVAILABLE ON CAMPUS & 100% ONLINE
The Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (MABS) program provides graduate-level curriculum that is designed for persons seeking a thorough biblical and theological understanding of the Old and New Testaments. By offering 6 units of electives as part of the curriculum, the MABS program allows students to focus on a particular area of interest. This program includes the preparation of a research thesis that should correspond to the students’ area of interest related to biblical and theological studies. By taking a full-time load of 9 units each trimester, the program can be completed in three years. Course availability, student load, adherence to student advisement, how soon the student completes the capstone thesis requirement, and other factors may extend or shorten the anticipated completion timeline.
The MABS degree is primarily designed to prepare students for:
1. Church or para-church ministries where a well-developed understanding of the Old and New Testaments is required;
2. An advanced level of biblical and theological understanding to apply toward vocational Christian ministry;
3. Future exegetical or theological studies which require a strong foundation in biblical studies.
Upon successful completion of the Master of Arts in Biblical Studies Program students will be able to:
1. Interpret the content of the Old and New Testaments utilizing a literal-grammaticalhistorical hermeneutic;
2. Demonstrate a graduate-level proficiency in theological research and writing;
3. Explain the foundational theological doctrines of the Christian faith;
4. Expound Biblical truths in a variety of settings;
5. Integrate biblical knowledge for spiritual growth, discipleship in vocational ministry; and
6. Provide leadership in a variety of ministry contexts inside and outside of the local church.
Each candidate for the MABS degree must meet the general graduation requirements and complete 60 units of graduate-level courses of which no more than 12 units can be transferred from another institution.
1. Complete 60 units of graduate-level courses.
2. Complete a minimum of 48 units at SCS. Students are urged to follow the recommended curriculum to prevent scheduling conflicts later on.
3. Prepare a thesis in the student’s chosen area of concentration that reflects a graduate-level of research and writing.
4. Complete the program curriculum with not less than a 2.5 GPA
5. Submit a petition to graduate to the Registrar by the deadline in the Academic Calendar.
6. Settle all financial obligations to SCS.
7. Be recommended by the faculty based on demonstrated moral integrity.
READY TO GET STARTED?
OR GET MORE INFORMATION
Degrees that get you where you want to go
Southern California Seminary is more than just another Bible seminary, offering generic degrees in Ministry and Theology. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of biblical study and truth. Our distinctives cumulatively make our institution unique among biblical seminaries in a day and age where the Word of God is not taken at face value, and core doctrines are being diluted.
You have goals. Southern California Seminary can help you achieve them. Do you need a bachelor’s degree to help fulfill God’s call on your life? Do you need a master’s or doctoral degree to take the next step in your ministry or career? SCS has a program—either Online or On-Campus—designed to renew your mind and deepen your faith in Jesus Christ.
SCS is seeking students with a hunger for learning about God and a desire to dig deeper into the Bible. From your first visit until your graduation, we will strive to support you in your spiritual growth, and prepare you to minister in the 21st century.
MA Biblical Studies
BIBLICAL STUDIES – 27 UNITS
- BH-501 HERMENEUTICS
- BH-505 METHODS OF INDUCTIVE STUDY
- OT-511 OLD TESTAMENT 1: GENESIS – JUDGES
- OT-512 OLD TESTAMENT 2: RUTH – SONG OF SOLOMON
- OT-513 OLD TESTAMENT 3: PROPHETS
- NT-506 GOSPELS AND ACTS
- NT-507 PAULINE EPISTLES AND HEBREWS
- NT-512 GENERAL EPISTLES AND REVELATION
- NT-601 ANALYSIS OF ROMANS
THEOLOGY AND CHRISTIAN PHILOSOPHY – 15 UNITS
- PH-501 LOGIC AND RHETORIC
- PH-507 CHRISTIAN ETHICS AND LEADERSHIP
- HI-505 CHURCH HISTORY AND CANONICITY (TRIMESTER)
- TH-501 SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY
- TH-508 COMPARATIVE SYSTEMS OF THEOLOGY
RESEARCH AND THESIS – 6 UNITS
- RS-501 GRADUATE RESEARCH & WRITING
- RS-791 THESIS WRITING (TWO TRIMESTERS)
BIBLICAL LANGUAGE CONCENTRATION NT GREEK OR OT HEBREW – 12 UNITS
This concentration is designed to enable students for the task of conducting biblical exegesis in the Greek New Testament which will be foundational for the study of theology and other disciplines and ministry practices.
BL-501 Elementary Greek 1 (Trimester)
BL-502 Elementary Greek 2 (Trimester)
BL-601 Intermediate Greek 1 (Trimester)
BL-602 Intermediate Greek 2 (Trimester)
This concentration is designed to enable students for the task of conducting biblical exegesis in the Hebrew Old Testament which will be foundational for the study of theology and other disciplines and ministry practices.
BL-551 Elementary Hebrew 1 (Trimester)
BL-552 Elementary Hebrew 2 (Trimester)
BL-651 Intermediate Hebrew 1 (Trimester)
BL-652 Intermediate Hebrew 2 (Trimester)
This concentration is designed to equip students to defend the Christian faith in a rational manner in two major areas: scientific and philosophical apologetics.
PH-501 Critical Thinking and Argumentation
HI-505 Church History and Canonicity (Trimester)
SR-555 Creation and Evolution: The Bible, Science, and Worldviews
RE-607 Christianity and World Religions
This concentration is designed to help students for an effective ministry in the local church and parachurch setting by enabling them to articulate their Christian faith biblically and systematically.
TH-611 Theology 1: Theology Proper, Bibliology, and Angelology
TH-612 Theology 2: Anthropology, Hamartiology, and Soteriology
TH-613 Theology 3: Christology, and Pneumatology
TH-614 Theology 4: Ecclesiology, and Eschatology
Southern California Seminary is more than just another Bible seminary — more than just another Christian College or Christian University. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of biblical study and truth. Our distinctives cumulatively make our institution unique among biblical seminaries in a day and age where the Word of God is not taken at face value, and core doctrines are being diluted.
Southern California Seminary’s mission is to bring glory to God by assisting local churches to equip believers of various cultures and languages to live and minister biblically based on the inerrant Word of God. This equipping includes building biblical knowledge, Christian character, and ministry skills—all at modest tuition.
Southern California Seminary is a private institution of higher education dedicated to teaching from the inerrant Word of God. Here you will learn about God from His book – the Bible. As a ministry of Shadow Mountain Community Church, under the leadership of Dr. David Jeremiah, SCS offers the highest quality of biblical education with a tuition that is refreshingly affordable.